Many clients who receive lash extensions often inquire about the timeframe that they should touch up their lashes. At LashBee, we recommend clients to come for lash fills every 2-3 weeks to maintain their newfound stunning lash look. Although this is the recommended time frame, lash fills often depend on the quality of the client’s aftercare. For instance, some clients maintain their lashes properly by cleaning them regularly, sleeping on their back, and by using lash-friendly products. The clients who take the utmost care of their lashes may not need to come back as often.
Another indicator that clients need a touch up is if they notice that their lashes are becoming sparse along the lash line. Sparse lashes are a major indication that the lash extensions are falling out. Lash extensions require maintenance including being shampooed, brushed, and cared for. Luckily, with proper lash care, the likelihood of lashes becoming sparse is significantly reduced. Here are our top tips for long lasting lashes!
- Wait 24 hours before exposing any new extensions to water:
- It's best to also avoid hot saunas during this time.
- After 24 hours, feel free to shower, swim, exercise, etc! We just recommend you gently rinse your lashes after a heavy workout or exposure to chlorine.
- Select makeup carefully:
- Avoid anything oil-based or waterproof.
- If you want an extra glam look, wear water-soluble mascara on just the tips of the lashes. If you aren't sure whether your makeup is extension-friendly, don't be afraid to ask your lash stylist!
- Don't use eyelash curlers - instead, let us know if you want more curl, and we can select the best extensions for you.
- Love for your face translates to love for your lashes:
- Wash your face gently and softly, particularly around the eye area. This has a dual purpose – it will protect your extensions and will help prevent wrinkles around your eyes!
- In your face wash, lotion or makeup remover, try to avoid glycol. More specifically, avoid anything with PEG (Polyethylene Glycol), Hexalene Glycol, Butylene, or Propylene Glycol.
- When removing makeup, dip a cotton swab in oil-free makeup remover and roll under the eye. This removes residue without pulling on your gentle eye tissue.
- Let your extensions sleep peacefully too:
- Lashes (extensions and natural!) can be damaged when you sleep face-down. Instead, try sleeping on your back, which has added benefits of helping posture and reducing muscle aches.
- If you wear an eye mask, make sure it doesn't crush your lashes or compress your eyes (which can give you wrinkles). Instead, look for masks that cup above the eye area.
- Cuddles always encouraged.
- Give your lashes some TLC:
- Brush out your lashes to have the most va-voom look! LashBee will always give you a free aftercare kit, so make sure to speak with your stylist about how to best use it.
- Feel free to use a lash cleanser before brushing at night to be extra squeaky-clean.
- Resist poking or prodding extensions with your fingers. You might have dirt or oils that can get entangled in them so stick with the brush.
When it comes down to it, the key to preserving your lash extensions is to properly take care them. Otherwise, you will need touch ups more often. At LashBee, we gift all of our clients with an aftercare kit to aid with this process. We want our clients to have all the tools they need for beautiful, healthy lashes!